13. Dezember 2014

Star shaped cinnamon cookies aka Zimtsterne | nom nom nom

Cinnamon stars are my very favorite cookies at Christmas time but I think they are everyone's favorite cookie, really. Cinnamon stars are like a sweet, chewy and crisp piece of Christmas compressed into star shape. Short: They look great and taste amazing. I can't believe they're 'only' typical German!
Like many many times in my life I thought for 26 years that something that great has to be incredibly difficult to make and didn't even bother to look for a recipe. Stupid me. This year someone tossed me a recipe and I was like "Whaaat? Only 7 ingredients!?". True story. To be honest I still marvel about the simplicity of it all *happy sigh*.
Of course I can't possibly keep the recipe to myself. Enjoy!

Step 1: Gather the ingredients.

Step 2: Mix the hazelnuts, almonds, vanilla sugar and cinnamon in a bowl. Sieve the confectioner's sugar onto a soup plate.

Step 3: Beat the egg whites with a pinch of salt until stiff and then sloooowly add the previously sieved confectioner's sugar (a spoonful at a time). Fill 5 tablespoons of the meringue creme into an icing bag and place it into the fridge. Start adding the hazelnut-almond-cinnamon mixture to the remaining meringue (slowly again) until you get a thick and smooth dough.

Step 4: Roll the dough out 1 cm thick between two sheets of plastic wrap. Remove the upper layer and start punching out stars. Place them on a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Step 5: Preheat the oven (150° C). Remove the meringue creme from the fridge and place a hazelnut-sized blob on every cinnamon star. Use a paint brush (a new one!) to spread the meringue over the whole surface of the star. Bake the cinnamon stars in the preheated oven for 15 minutes. Remove, let cool, enjoy!

0 COMMENTS

Kommentar veröffentlichen

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...